The two-year Post-graduate Programme in Management (PGP) is a full-time residential course for graduates from all disciplines wishing to choose a career in management.
The candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA [45% in case of the candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Differently Abled (DA) (It may also referred to as Persons with Disability (PWD) category)], awarded by any of the Universities incorporated by an act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India. For details refer https://iimcat.ac.in.
The first year’s curriculum is compulsory and covers the basic functional areas of management like accounting and finance, behavioral science, communication, economics, information technology, marketing, human resource management, operations management, and quantitative methods. At the end of the first year, a student works in an organization on a summer assignment lasting eight to ten weeks. The second year courses provide the students with an opportunity to pursue studies in areas of special interest to them in addition to the compulsory courses.
Graduates of the PGP are awarded the Post-Graduate Diploma in Management
The selection of candidates for admission to the 2015-17 batch of the PGP at IIM Shillong is a two-phase process:
In the first phase, candidates are short-listed for Personal Interview (PI) from candidates who have a valid CAT1 /GMAT2 score3 and have applied for the programme and who also satisfy the eligibility criteria for the programme. A non-overseas candidate who applies with a CAT score is required to perform well in all sections in CAT and should have a consistently well academic record. An overseas category candidate who applies with a GMAT score instead of a CAT score is assessed for equivalence of performance with those who qualify through CAT. Candidates who may have taken CAT but their academic marks in any of the specified level(s) is not available to the Institute will not get considered for shortlisting for admission. Shortlisted candidates will be required to register online through the Institute’s Website from the Admissions page to register themselves for Phase 2 of the admissions.
- 1CAT refers to CAT-2014
- 2 GMAT refers to GMAT administered within the last 24 months as on 30 November 2014
- 3A candidate's prior academic record is also used in the short-listing process. The exact criteria used to short-list candidates for personal interviews are available on the IIM Shillong website at www.iimshillong.in
In the second phase of the process, personal interviews of all candidates short-listed in the first phase will be carried out. Candidates will be offered admission to the 2015-17 batch of the PGP at IIM Shillong on the basis od their performance in the personal interviews and CAT performance.
Online Admissions Module
All communication during admission process will be managed through an online module. Prior to the Personal interview, the candidates will be able to see their shortlisting status via online module. In case of being shortlisted, they will be able to fill in and submit interview form online. After the personal interview process, the candidates will be able to make the necessary fee payments, and to confirm their admission in event of being offered the same. All communications to the candidates will be done only via this online module and emails.
The Online Admissions Module is compatible with the latest versions of the browsers like Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.It is also compatible with Internet Explorer 7.0 & above.
Disclaimers about the admission process followed by IIMS for its PGP subsequent to CAT
- The entire process of shortlisting and selection of candidates at IIM Shillong for its Post Graduate Programme is independent of all other IIMs.
- Performance in CAT and consistently well academic record are important criteria for short-listing of candidates to the second stage of admission process.Second stage is the Personal Interviews (PI). Candidates should note that it is important to perform well relative to other candidates at each stage of the process.
- The shortlisted candidates will be communicated via their registered e-mail after CAT results are declared tentatively by third week of December, 2014. They would be requested to register to the IIM Shillong Online Admissions Module and to provide specified information over the online form. Continuing with the online nature of CAT,IIM Shillong would continue to use the internet and the Institute’s website as the primary medium of communication for admission process with all the candidates.Candidates are therefore required to continue using their email id provided at the time of CAT registration and periodically visit the Institute’s website.They should also check their SPAM mail folder during the process.
- After the PI round, admission offers are made by IIM Shillong to successful candidates on the basis of the final merit list.
- A candidature would automatically stand cancelled, if at any point of the admission process, the candidate does not respond and adhere to the requirements of the process.
- IIM Shillong would protect the privacy of all the individual candidates and confidentiality of the process to prevent abuse. Based on these considerations, the performance details of an individual are not made available to any other person. Similarly, the performance of candidates in PI including assessment of attributes mentioned under paragraph 4 above is not disclosed to anyone to prevent exercise of undue pressure on the panelists participating in the admission/selection process. To ensure that the perceived lack of transparency does not in any way affect the candidates negatively, adequate care is taken in formation of panel, development of objective criteria for assessment, random allocation of candidates to a panel, establishing scientific reliability of the process and other such measures.
- Candidates appearing in PI, will be able to check their status regarding admission offer by IIMS Shillong by the last week of April, 2015 by visiting the institute’s website. The same information, along with offer document, will be sent over to the candidate’s registered e-mail. Such Candidates, who are offered admission, will need to confirm their acceptance by completing all the required formalities within the stipulated time frame.Failing to do so will forfeit their candidature and the offer will be made to candidates on wait-list. Wait list candidates may be required to respond to admission offer, if made at a short notice.
- The Institute reserves the right to revoke the offer of admission to any candidate not fulfilling the offer-acceptance requirements as per specifications.
- 9. The Institute commits itself to respond to each and every query of the candidates, whether shortlisted (in first phase), selected (in second phase), or otherwise. However only unambiguous and relevant queries will be entertained. Any attempt by a candidate or by anyone on his/her behalf to influence the admission process at any stage will result in summarily termination of his/her candidature.
IIM Shillong adheres to the Government of India reservation policy for admission to Centrally Funded Technical Institutions and as applicable to the Institute.
Students' Affairs Council
The Students’ Council has a set of nominated members amongst the students, significant responsibility for developing and implementing policies and codes for the conduct of student activities. The council, who is a nominated body by the students, has the overall responsibility for academics, financial, dining hall, publications, cultural, sports activities, etc. related to the students.
In the event of specific guidelines being issued by Government of India and/or under specific circumstances, IIM Shillong reserves the right to continue with the aforesaid selection procedure which may include calling for additional information from short-listed candidates, or even an alternative procedure, or a supplementary test. Care will be taken to ensure that candidates are not put to undue inconvenience. All such candidates will be contacted through their registered email id and mobile number as available in CAT data. All sorts of information related to the admission will be communicated to the students only.
For further details please contact: email@example.com (For Post CAT queries only).
* * This document is released by Chairman, Admissions Committee, on behalf of Rajiv Gandhi Indian Institute of Management Shillong (Updated on 26 September 2014)